WhatsApp Pay has finally rolled out in India. On Friday, the company announced that the feature will be available for all iOS and Android users in India starting today. And users will be able to send and receive money through WhatsApp. WhatsApp mentioned in its blog that it wants to make money transferring as easy as sending messages on the app. Also Read: Know how to restore contacts in Google Contacts, if Deleted accidentally
Notably, WhatsApp has launched its payments feature after received approval from the National Payments Commission (NPCI) of India to operate it using the Unified Payments Interface (UPI), an India-first, a real-time payment system that enables transactions with over 160 supported banks. Initially, the feature was launched in India in 2018 but it got stuck in Beta mode. Also Read: Atmanirbhar Bharat: Paytm decides to rival Google with its Android Mini App Store for Indian developers
“Starting today, people across India will be able to send money through WhatsApp. This secure payments experience makes transferring money just as easy as sending a message,” WhatsApp said in a tweet. Also Read: Xiaomi India launches ‘Mi Store on Wheels’ moving retail store
Currently, in India, the feature is being rolled out for 20 million WhatsApp users, with expansion to enable the option for more users happening in a phased manner. WhatsApp is currently partnered with ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, the State Bank of India, and Jio Payments Bank, and also supported by more than 140 banks.
What do you need to do?
To get the new feature, you will need to update your WhatsApp to the latest version or have the latest version of WhatsApp installed on your phone to make the WhatsApp Pay option available. You can also download the latest version of WhatsApp from the Play Store.
You also require a bank account and a debit card to register for WhatsApp Payments. Notably, it is important that the phone that you are using WhatsApp on has to be working with the same mobile number that is registered with your bank account. Also Read: Google is going green: World’s 1st major company to eliminate ‘Carbon Legacy’, aims to operate on ’24/7 Carbon-Free Energy by 2030′
Here’s how you can use WhatsApp Pay
- After the above steps are completed, open WhatsApp on your phone and click on the three dots menu at the top right corner and click on Payments
- Now, click on ‘Add payment’ next and select the bank that you have an account in
- It will ask for verification of your phone number and show your bank account.
- Click on your bank account and then, click on ‘Done’. Your UPI ID, your payment history and your linked bank accounts will be displayed.
- Now, you will be able to send money to those contacts that have registered for WhatsApp Payments.
- Just open the chat window with any contact, click on the file share icon and select the payment option
- You can then initiate payment to contact and also receive money in the same manner.
Like Soochna on
Follow Soochna on
Read more on